I’m so excited to be sharing this simple recipe for nut-free and dairy-free Sunbutter Cup Popcorn (think Reese’s Cup Popcorn, without the dairy and nuts).
It is now one of my favorite foods, but if I’m being honest, it took me a while to enjoy eating sunflower seed butter. When my mom first found this peanut butter alternative at Trader Joe’s, I was scared to eat it. What if they accidentally switched this with real peanut butter? It smelled just like peanut butter to me, so how would I know the difference?
It took me a while, with a couple of different recipes and attempts to eat it, but eventually I really came to love it. If you are like me, and cannot have dairy or nuts, you know my protein options are significantly limited.
Sunflower seed butter is a great protein option, and I have really enjoyed creating new recipes with it!
Now, I love to bake, but sometimes I want something that I can whip up without taking an extra trip to the grocery store, or heating up my oven. Sunbutter Cup Popcorn is a perfect dessert to enjoy without having to do either!
I usually have a stash of a couple of Sunbutter Cups in my fridge, but these are not even totally necessary for the recipe (there will be plenty of chocolate and sunflower seed butter without).
I really hope you enjoy this recipe for Sunbutter Cup Popcorn as much as I do. Comment below and share your favorite way to enjoy sunflower seed butter!
Dairy-free & Nut-free Sunbutter Popcorn
- 8 cups salted popcorn
- 1 – 2 tsp. salt (amount depends on your taste, and how salted popcorn is)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (I use the Sunbutter from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 Sunbutter Cups (I also get these from Trader Joe’s)
- Place popped popcorn onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix the honey and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat, and vigorously whisk sunflower seed butter in until smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Pour sunflower seed butter caramel over the popcorn after mixing. Try to coat all of the popcorn.
- Melt dairy-free chocolate chips in microwave, then drizzle over popcorn.
- Sprinkle salt over popcorn. For extra sweetness and texture, sprinkle in crushed Sunbutter Cups.
- Once popcorn is cooled, toss in bowl and serve!