For this recipe, I must give credit to my husband, who creates and makes these turkey melts perfectly. This meal is inspired by a recipe I came across in a food magazine that I was not able to replicate exactly. Although the recipe had multiple allergens, I loved the fact that they used a waffle iron to cook the turkey melt. My husband has made multiple variations of this recipe, and perfected it to what it is now. Putting apple slices in the sandwich was in the original recipe, but my husband and I felt that they did not really add any flavor, and had a strange texture after being cooked in the waffle iron. But hey, to each his own!
I encourage you to spice these sandwiches up with different flavors, meats, sauces, and vegetables. I am hoping to add tomatoes next time we eat these, and even avocado!
Dairy-Free Waffle Iron Turkey Melt
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4-6 oz. sliced turkey
- 1 1/2 T. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- cooking spray
- 1/2 T. margarine
- Preheat waffle iron to high. Coat with cooking spray.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl.
- Spread margarine on one side of each slice of bread.
- Divide turkey slices, dairy-free cheese, and mayo/mustard mix evenly between bread slices.
- Place sandwich in waffle iron, with margarine spread sides facing out.
- Close waffle iron firmly on sandwich.
- Cook a few minutes (depending on waffle iron), until bread is golden brown and cheese melts.