While I tend to be a creature of habit in every aspect of life, including cooking and baking, every once in a while, I get an itch to try something new. I had just bought a whole batch of lemons, and was craving a lemon dessert. I did not have a recipe for lemon cake, but with a little experimenting, I was able to bake a dairy-free, nut-free, and egg-free lemon cupcake with a graham cracker crust.
A close friend was recently accepted into a PA school, and her husband invited us to dinner to celebrate her accomplishment. I offered to bring these cupcakes for dessert, and they were a hit! I am the only person in our group with allergies, so I was very happy that they did not realize that the cupcakes were baked without eggs, dairy, and nuts. This cake is light fluffy, just as if it was made with egg.
For the celebration, I topped the cupcakes with my dairy-free meringue frosting, that does include egg. However, I switch the frosting for my favorite egg-free, dairy-free buttercream frosting when I make this for my brother who is allergic to eggs.
For the finishing touch, I used my kitchen torch on the meringue frosting. I LOVE using the torch – I feel so fancy and official, even in our little apartment 🙂
Lemon Cupcakes with Graham Cracker Crust (nut-free, egg-free, dairy-free)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 egg substitute – 1 tsp. baking powder + 1 1/2 T. water + 1 1/2 T. oil
- 1/2 cup water
Graham Cracker Crust
- 9 graham crackers
- 5 tsp. dairy-free margarine – melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl, add together wet ingredients.
- Mix in dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
- Crush up graham crackers in separate bowl, and mix in margarine.
- Place one spoonful of graham cracker mixture in the bottom of each cupcake mold in pan. Press mixture down with backside of the spoon.
- Pour cupcake batter over graham cracker bottom.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).
- Frost with your favorite frosting (I suggest my meringue frosting or buttercream frosting). Enjoy!