I celebrated my 25th birthday this year, and one of the awesome gifts from my hubby was a kitchen torch. I always watch Top Chef, and other cooking shows, in awe of every opportunity that a chef can use a torch in cooking. So needless to say, I was VERY excited and eager to use my new gift.
This recipe was an excuse to use my new torch, so now I would like to share my recipe for this dairy-free, nut-free meringue frosting. Although it might be a bit more involved that my egg-free, dairy-free buttercream frosting, I think it is really fun!
Meringue Frosting (dairy-free, nut-free)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisk constantly until sugar dissolves (for about 4-6 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Using a whisk attachment, beat mixture on low speed, increasing to high for 7 minutes. The frosting should form into stiff, glossy peaks.
- After frosting cupcakes, you can use a kitchen torch to add a little color to the frosting (although you do not have to)! Enjoy!