This recipe for Allergy-Friendly Mexican Rice Bowl is simple, filling, and is Top 8 Free! Usually when I find Top 8 Free recipes, I worry that they will not be satisfying enough for my 6’7 husband – he needs as much protein and filling that he can get. However, I am happy to report that this recipe is tasty and filling for our hard-working men 😉
I am so happy when I find a recipe that checks all four of my boxes: safe, tasty, healthy, AND filling.
This recipe has so many flavors, but is so simple to make. Another simple, easy way to add extra flavor in the recipe is to substitute the water for vegetable broth in cooking the brown rice. I would also recommend this recipe for family gatherings, barbecues, or any other large gathering because it is quick and cheap!
Another tip: if you are able to eat dairy or dairy-free cheese substitutes, you can sprinkle this on top before you bake it. I used Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds, which I get from Sprouts. This will add a little extra protein as well.
I hope you enjoy cooking this simple recipe!!
Mexican Rice Bowl – Top 8 Free
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (for more flavor, cook with vegetable broth instead of water)
- 1 can low-sodium black beans – drained
- 1 can low-sodium corn – drained
- 8-10 oz. red salsa (I prefer medium heat)
- 1 bell pepper – chopped
- 1/2 small onion – chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tomatoes – chopped
- 1 avocado (to garnish)
- 1 lime – (sprinkle juice on top before serving).
- Cook brown rice (preferably in vegetable broth).
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9″x 9″ pan.
- Mix beans, corn, salsa, onion, bell pepper, and salt into the rice. Pour into baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, avocado, and lime juice. Enjoy!