My Pinterest is made up of thousands of pins, and while about half are recipes, not all are allergy-friendly recipes. I often come to realize that the allergy-friendly recipes I find on Pinterest are very complicated, or use ingredients that I can’t find at the Target across the street, let alone my own pantry and fridge.
So my mission simply becomes to transform the mouth-watering recipes I find on Pinterest that contain allergens, into something safe and delicious that I can eat.
For this recipe, I played around with a couple of different recipes I had found, and through trial and error, came up with this yummy Nut-Free Pesto Pasta with Tomatoes recipe. I have tried different nut-free pesto recipes prior, and never found any that seemed to satisfy – until this recipe. The recipe is also dairy-free, egg-free, and can be made gluten-free if the pasta is substituted with gluten-free pasta. Everyone wins with this one! And yes, this recipe also passed the husband test (who knows what the real stuff tastes like). Enjoy!
Nut-Free Pesto Pasta with Tomatoes
- 18oz. spaghetti (can be substituted with gluten-free pasta)
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 cups basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup dairy-free Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup and 2 T. olive oil
- 1 small package cherry tomatoes
- Bring pot to boil and cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, use a blender or food processor, and blend spinach, basil, 2 cloves of garlic, dairy-free Parmesan, salt, pepper, and juice from 1/2 of the lemon. Pour 1/3 cup and 1 T. olive oil slowly while blending.
- In a small pan, cook tomatoes and last garlic clove (minced) and last T. of olive oil.
- Drizzle juice of the other half of lemon over tomatoes when done cooking.
- Combine pesto and tomatoes into pasta. Enjoy!