Recently I have been trying to work on taking in more protein and not taking in as many empty calories. I am not a big eater, so when I do eat, I want my food to work for me. This leads me to my next recipe, protein bites. I found a recipe on Pinterest, and adapted this to work with my allergies.
The lifesaver that makes this recipe is Sunflower Seed Butter. I get this at my local Trader Joe’s, but this can be found at other grocery stores as well (often near the peanut butter). This not only binds the ingredients together, but provides the protein. I like to eat a couple of these as a snack at work, or right after I work out.
Did I mention you don’t have to bake these either? They really could not be easier to make!
After the first time I made these, I realized how fast my husband could eat them, and I now double the recipe to last us the whole week. Depending on whether you are feeding yourself, or a whole family, this recipe can be adapted to fit your needs.
Allergy-Friendly Protein Bites
(nut-free, dairy-free, and egg-free)
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seed butter
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (not cooked)
- 2/3 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips
- Mix together sunflower seed butter, vanilla, and honey.
- Add in oats, shredded coconut, and mini chocolate chips.
- Store mixing bowl in freezer for one hour.
- After one hour, roll into 1 inch balls.
- Store in container in either freezer or fridge.