Having nuts and dairy completely eliminated from my diet, my protein options are limited. While I am a meat-eater (In N Out burgers are to-die-for), I can definitely get tired of turkey sandwiches for lunch, and chicken for dinner. I truly miss the days where I could have string cheese or yogurt for snacks. Nuts were never an option for me, so I do not know what I am missing out on with those…
I love creating a new recipe that has a few, simple ingredients, because I know that I have healthy options. I am not limited even though I have allergies. This recipe is one of those great options, because it is healthy, and top 8 free!
This allergy-friendly recipe is the perfect solution to my protein dilemma…and quinoa is the hero!
Not only is this recipe simple and delicious, it is a great option to get protein! If you are not restricted by all top 8 allergens, then I suggest serving this with pita bread and hummus. Whole wheat pita bread is another great option for protein.
Top 8 Free Spinach Mushroom Quinoa
- 1 lb. mushrooms (I used white), sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 T. lemon juice
- Saute mushrooms and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Add fresh spinach to the skillet. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Uncover. Add cooked quinoa to the skillet, and cook for 2 minutes (or until warm).
- Season with salt and lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!